Here’s what I’m looking forward to this summer! Some are goals and some are events.
- Writing. There are two big projects I want to work on – one is a story about aliens and the other is a retelling of “Cinderella”. (Or possibly “Sleeping Beauty”.) I’d like the retelling to be long enough for a novella since I’ve already written a short story about Cinderella, but I have no idea yet how long the alien story will be. I’ll just have to wait and see.
- College writing class. I’m doing Comp 101 over the summer! Whee! It’s only two days a week but for three or four hours each class, I think. I want to know what an Official Teacher Person thinks of my writing.
- Not doing the second session of Camp NaNoWriMo. Are you kidding? I’ll already be busy enough with college writing, my own writing, and 4-H Creative Writing.
- Rereading Harry Potter. There’s a few other series I plan to reread if I have time, but the main one is Harry Potter. I haven’t reread it in three or four years and I’m interested to see if my opinions of characters/events/the books themselves are different since I’m obsessed with other things now.
- The 4-H Genealogy project. Because this is me you’re talking about, I’m not just taking this project – there are ten others I’ve barely even started! (Oops.) Anyway, this is the main project I think about because I’m interested in seeing how it all comes together. I stupidly thought it would be fun and easy so I signed up, then discovered that it still looked like it would be fun, but it’s hard. I have to source everything.
- Lots of reading. Some C.S. Lewis, a little Stephen King, a gazillion thousand pages (give or take a few) of George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire, and several retellings of fairy tales as research for my story. (If you’ve read any good ones, tell me about them!)
- A 4-H trip to Washington, D.C. Through an essay contest, I won a week-long trip. I was super happy when I found out because they pick only two kids from every county. We’ll get to see Gettysburg, the Smithsonian Museums, various monuments, and more. I’ve been there on vacation before so I’m anxious to go back and take more photos. We’ll be there on the Fourth of July so I can’t wait to take pictures of the fireworks on the Mall!
- Looking at colleges. Gulp. I won’t actually be visiting any colleges but I have recently begun to look at schools with good writing programs. Specifically, I want one that offers both Creative Writing and Journalism as majors. I want to attend college for the former but I need a job that will actually pay for food and shelter so I want a degree in something more practical as well.
- Getting my driver’s license. I almost have enough hours of driving to get this and then I can start driving on my own!
- Normally I would list a movie I’m excited for, but there isn’t really one. Bummer.
What are you looking forward to this summer?