Link-ups at The Book Chewers are back! They’re monthly now, though. January’s prompt is:
Pick five of your favorite literary sidekicks! They can be aliens / dogs / humanoids. Just not the main character! BFFs for the win!
1. Gimli from the Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien. How can anyone not adore this dwarf? Gimli is brave, loyal, funny (especially when bickering with Legolas), and a skilled fighter. He’s a good addition to the Fellowship and the only thing I would’ve changed about Gimli would be to give him more scenes.
2. Dobby from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. Honestly, I like Dobby more than Ron or Hermione – he has so much personality for such a tiny house-elf. I love his goofiness and friendship with Harry, but I love his fierce oddness most of all. Dobby doesn’t really care if the other elves think he’s weird for loving freedom.
3. Asher from The Giver by Lois Lowry. Although Jonas gradually drifted apart from Asher as he learned more from the Giver, I don’t think that cancels out their previous friendship. I love Asher because he’s such a dork and really does try to figure out what’s bothering Jonas, even if he can’t help his friend because he doesn’t have the memories.
4. Nymeria from A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. It’s difficult to determine the main character of this series – eight narrate the first book alone – so I gave up and picked a sidekick who’s not even human. Nymeria is Arya Stark’s pet direwolf who keeps her company on the long trip south to King’s Landing when Arya is tired of sitting quietly and wants to explore the landscape around them. She had to let Nymeria loose in A Game of Thrones, though, so the wolf has been wandering around since and I hope she turns up in later books.
5. Rue from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Although Rue appears in only four chapters, I love her anyway. She’s that awesome. She’s sweet and kind and later, one of the reasons for the rebellion. I admire Rue’s strategy in the Games, too – like her, I’m not big or strong for my age so I wouldn’t be good at fighting but I could try to survive by hiding.
What do you think about my favorite sidekicks?