Hello, everyone! Today is the first day of winter! And that means it’s time for another quarterly rewind. This post covers the time from September twenty-third through December twenty-first. And as always, the idea of a quarterly rewind is not mine – the credit for that goes to Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner. Enjoy!
P.S. You can find earlier quarterly rewinds here, if you’re interested.
Image From This Fall
Favorite Quote From A Book I Read This Fall
“I feel I stand in a desert with my hands outstretched, and you are raining down upon me.”
– The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith
THIS BOOK GAVE ME ALL OF THE EMOTIONS AND I AM NOT OK.
This Fall In One Word
Most Popular Review This Fall
I finally read Fairest by Marissa Meyer and now I can’t wait to finish that series! I requested Winter from the library, but I’m thinking about rereading all the other Lunar Chronicles books, too, just for funsies.
Top Two Books I Read This Fall
- The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith was a five-star read for me! YOU SHOULD ALL READ IT TOO BECAUSE A) VINTAGE LESBIANS AND B) THE MOVIE ADAPTATION JUST CAME OUT. (It was renamed Carol, FYI… I would give you the link I used to watch it, but it looks like it was deleted! It WAS a leaked version, so…)
- Demon Road also got five stars from me and Derek Landy is basically a writing god. Also, I buddy-read this one (with Orphu @ A Mirror Made of Words), so that was pretty cool – I’d never done that before!
Two Things I’m Looking Forward To This Winter
- Laverne Cox is giving a free guest lecture at my school in February… on an evening when I have class, but I’m skipping class JUST THIS ONCE because OMG YOU GUYS THII S IS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME EVENT. SHE IS ONE OF MY ROLE MODELS AND FEMINIST HEROES.
- Honestly, I’m just really really looking forward to relaxing at home during my month-long (!) winter break. I’m going to READ ALL OF THE BOOKS and make Christmassy food and enjoy the peace and quiet that comes with living in an actual home and not a dorm.
Three New Obsessions This Fall
- I found this Black Widow playlist on 8tracks and I’ve been listening to it a lot while I write… it’s comprised entirely of classical music and pieces from film scores, which gives it a very Natasha-the-assassin-ballerina vibe. Not all of the music is by Russian composers, but they did include enough to make me happy… Shostakovich?! YESSS. BRING IT ON. (I should listen to this while I read the third volume of Nathan Edmondson’s new Black Widow comic! I just borrowed it from the library!)
- I’ve been reading my way through Brian Michael Bendis’ Alias comics in preparation for binge-watching Jessica Jones on Netflix, and OH MY GOD I LOVE THEM.
- I found the blog Bookish Serendipity and UGH I LOVE IT SO MUCH. SOOOO. MUCH.
Most Popular Five Blog Posts Overall This Fall
- I fangirled A LOT in Thoughts On Carmilla Season Two!
- I didn’t do NaNo this year – instead, I wrote a lot of blog posts, such as 20 Reasons I’m Not Doing NaNoWriMo This Year.
- None Of My Professors Read My Blog, So I’m Gonna Tell You All About Them was a very ranty post. BECAUSE REASONS.
- I listed off a bunch of VERY PRACTICAL ITEMS in A Tiny Adult’s Christmas Wish List. Basically: SOCKS.
- I Survived Midterms (& Stayed Happy!) | Halloween, BERNIE SANDERS, Inside Out, & Monty Python was all about what I did in October.
Five Posts I Loved On Other Blogs This Fall
- Sabrina Wolfheart @ Books and Bark talked about people missing the point of The Hunger Games in The Propaganda of District 13.
- Jessica @ Bookish Serendipity posts, among other things, a lot of blogging advice, and I thought Checklist: Rock That Blog Post (+Infographic) was particularly helpful!
- Can You Grow Out Of Books You Used To Love? by Emily @ Loony Literate gave me all of the feels and I AGREE WITH HER.
- YA author Dahlia Adler @ The Daily Dahlia posted Ten Books That Celebrate Intersectional Diversity. ALL OF THE HUGS FOR THIS POST.
- As always, Cait @ Paper Fury wrote soooo many posts that I had trouble deciding which one was my favorite… but I did really love Do You Think About Star Ratings While Reading? BECAUSE I DO. I dooooo. Constantly!
Five Things That Happened This Fall
- I MET BERNIE FREAKING SANDERS AND I TOOK A SELFIE WITH HIM. (Some of my international followers didn’t know who he was the last time I mentioned him, so… he’s one of the Democratic candidates in the 2016 US presidential election, and I will definitely be voting for him!)
- I wrote collab reviews of Doctor Who series nine… I’m super behind on posting the one for episode twelve, but I will soon! Also, one of my new friends from college watched all the episodes with me, which was super fun because fangirling by yourself gets kind of lonely after a while, even for an introvert like me.
- I watched Mockingjay Part 2 and Carol and Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens… which were all AWESOME and also movies I’d been anticipating for practically forever!
- I earned As in all my classes! (I checked like five minutes ago, and all my grades were updated. Yay!)
- I decided not to do NaNoWriMo this year for the first time in five years and… OMG it was so relaxing. I’m glad I didn’t do it!
Six Songs That I Listened To Far Too Often This Fall
1. “Cliff’s Edge” – Hayley Kiyoko
OMGGGG HAYLEY PLEASE MAKE MORE GAY SONGS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.
2. “Coming Down” – Halsey
I discovered Halsey late this summer… and then one of my friends pointed out that this is a perfect song for Emma/Regina from Once Upon A Time (one of my new obsessions from the last quarterly rewind), so I started seeing it differently and OHHH MY GOD I LOVE THIS SO MUCH.
3. “The Mother We Share” – CHVRCHES
I went to my first-ever concert this fall – CHVRCHES played at my school’s homecoming in October! I haven’t been a fan of this band for very long… I started listening to their music literally the week before they came to Iowa. But I like them!
4. “Demons ” – Imagine Dragons
This reminds me of Demon Road. FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.
5. “The Throne Room / End Title” (Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope) – John Williams
I’ve been listening to a lot of Star Wars music lately because I was (and still am!) excited for The Force Awakens. I’ve mostly been listening to stuff from the original trilogy… and considering spending part of my time during winter break messing about on the piano because I haven’t played since before I left for college. I used to be able to play a lot of the pieces from these movies, and I’ve been wondering if my fingers will still remember how the songs go.
6. “There Are Worse Games to Play / Deep in the Meadow / The Hunger Games Suite” (Mockingjay Part 2) – James Newton Howard
This music ALSO makes me want to start playing the piano again, because I used to play “Rue’s Theme” all the time! AHHHH OMG THIS FILM SCORE WAS SO SO GOOD.
I love that they had the same composer for the entire franchise, because that meant there was a ton of continuity in terms of motifs and character themes and whatnot. These three pieces played over the credits, and OH HOW I CRIED. THEY PLAYED RUE’S THEME I’M NOT OK I’M NOT OK.
I’m also a big fan of “Your Favorite Color Is Green,” which is an instrumental rendition of “The Hanging Tree.”
What did you enjoy most on my blog this fall? And what have you done during these past few months?