Hey, everyone! Thought I’d do another reading update even though I did one not too long ago because, as I mentioned a few posts ago, one of my goals for this Thanksgiving break was to binge-read since I hadn’t read much for fun in a while. I spent almost all day Wednesday reading and it was super enjoyable!
Anyway, here’s my update. Enjoy!
One of the stories I read during my book binge was The End of Summer by Tillie Walden, a beautiful and mysterious graphic novel about a twin boy and girl from a royal family. Winter lasts years where they live and that makes the sister go mad, so the boy has to deal with that on top of his own illness. I feel like the way I just described it makes it sound really derivative of Game of Thrones, but trust me: It’s not all. You should try it!
I also enjoyed Bone, Vol. 2: Out From Boneville by Jeff Smith, I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark by Debbie Levy, Carry This Book by Abbi Jacobson, and Dare To Disappoint: Growing Up In Turkey by Özge Samanci, among others, during the same binge-reading session.
Well, TECHNICALLY the last book I finished is Ghost World by Daniel Clowes, but I didn’t enjoy it and don’t really want to talk about it, soooo… I’m going to discuss the book I read before that instead, which is Princess Leia by Mark Waid! YAYYYY FOR MY SPACE WIFE. I haven’t read very many Star Wars comics and every time I do I think I should do so more often. I need to find more comic books about her!
I am currently reading Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov because I have to lead a presentation on it for my Prose Style class. It’s slow going right now, but I’m hoping that it will pick up later. I do like the premise – it’s based on a fictional poem by a fictional author – and his use of language is pretty cool too.
Another book I am reading is Art Made from Books: Altered, Sculpted, Carved, Transformed by Laura Heyenga, which I started during my book binge but did not finish. I love the idea of book art, although I’ve never made any of my own!
I’m really excited to start Art Before Breakfast: A Zillion Ways To Be More Creative No Matter How Busy You Are by Danny Gregory, mainly because I feel my levels of creativity have gone way down and I need a jump-start.
In addition to reading more of the Bone series mentioned earlier, I’m planning to start reading some of the Maigret books by Georges Simenon! One of my friends recommended them to me because I love mysteries… especially long mystery series, and there are seventy-five novels about his detective Maigret! I don’t think the library has all of them, though, so I think I’ll start with Maigret Bides His Time because it has the highest rating on Goodreads out of all of the Maigret books I borrowed.
Recently Added To TBR List
Some of the books I recently found and/or were recommended to me are:
- I added The Other Boy by M.G. Hennessey to my TBR because I was excited to find a middle grade novel with a trans boy as the main character!
- I love surrounding myself with arty books so it makes total sense that I would want to read Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative by Austin Kleon!
- I didn’t even know Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay by J.K. Rowling was going to be a thing, but apparently it is! And now I’m rather torn on whether or not I actually want to read it because I surprisingly loved the movie and don’t know if I really want to experience the story in another medium just quite yet.
- The blurb for Monstress, Volume 1: Awakening by Marjorie M. Liu describes this graphic novel as a story of steampunk horror illustrated in art deco style…. AHHH SIGN ME THE HECK UP THAT SOUNDS AMAZING.
- Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi is a middle grade novel inspired by Alice in Wonderland and the Chronicles of Narnia. It looks super colorful and cute!
Feel free to steal this idea for your own blog, or answer the questions in the comments! Actually, PLEASE answer the questions in the comments, because I would love to know more about your reading habits! (And what is the best book you’ve read lately? Do you have any recs for me?!)